By Monica Rodriguez
As many of you may know, our school was not always named after Saint Dominic. Before the school’s name change in 1997, it was known as Rosary College, which had been originally named Saint Clara’s College and was brought over to River Forest from Sinsinawa, Wisc..
The Sinsinawa college did not have a newspaper but rather a book entitled The Young Eagle, which held many different types of documents from pictures and poetry to campus news and alumnae successes. There were 44 volumes of Young Eagle published, even after the move to River Forest, until Rosary College administrators decided a newspaper would be more efficient in spreading news throughout campus.
And so, The Rosarian was born. The first issue was published on October 17, 1935 as a four-page document and included news on topics such as class elections, upcoming social events and student achievements. Announcements on engagements, expecting parents, and continued education filled the column known as Alumnae Echoes.
In later issues, columns on fashion and ads from local businesses promoted fancy hats, affordable shoes, and evening wear. Along with all of this, there was a Help Wanted section where students could search for someone willing to give a wake-up call, help with a term paper or rent out locker space.
About 248 issues of The Rosarian were published in all and it ended its 35 year run in 1970. After this, the school newspaper alternated between names like The Interim, The Rapporter and The Reporter until The Dominican Star made its debut in 1998.